Combining the ever growing trend of “sweet heat” and crispy chicken sandwiches, these sliders offer a unique and elevated element through the use of raw honeycomb, appealing to consumers who seek out classic handhelds with a unique twist. Honeycomb also pairs well with savory ingredients like bacon, smoked meats, and aged cheeses, adding a touch of natural sweetness. From gourmet burgers to artisanal grilled cheese sandwiches, honeycomb can be used in a variety of other sandwiches to elevate their flavors and textures.
Yields 4-6 Servings
Total Prep Time: ~15 minutes
Hold Time: 15 minutes assembled held hot
5 Pieces Pass the Honey Raw Honeycomb
1¼ teaspoons Ground Cayenne Pepper
5 Pieces Frozen Fried Boneless Chicken, ~1-ounce Pieces
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
15 Dill Pickle Coins
15 Red Radish Slices
5 Hawaiian Bread Slider Buns
- Season each honeycomb by dusting with cayenne pepper (~1/4 tsp on each comb).
- Deep fry breaded chicken at 350°F until the internal temperature is 155°F.
- Remove chicken from frying oil and season chicken with a little kosher salt.
- Build each slider in the following order:
Slider Bun Heel
1 tsp Mayonnaise
3 Dill Pickle Coins
3 Slices Red Radish
1 Piece Fried Chicken
1 Cayenne-dusted Honeycomb
Slider Bun Crown
- Plus up honeycomb with pantry spices and herbs with a simple sprinkle.Other honeycomb spiced toppers include:
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Flaked sea salt
Everything bagel spice
Japanese furikake seasoning
Placing the honeycomb on the fried chicken while hot lets the honeycomb soften and gently melt over the chicken.